You’ve got a plan to travel to Ha Noi – the beautiful capital of Vietnam; however, a question still in your mind is where to stay.
As Ha Noi is a great city with different parts of cities focusing on various economic sectors, choices of accommodations vary upon the district regarding the price range, the style, and customers’ demands.
From my experience, as a lover of the charming Ha Noi, I would love to share with you my recommendations on where to spend your business or leisure stay in Ha Noi.
What to consider before choosing a place to stay in Ha Noi?
Traveling to Ha Noi, you are in the middle of finding a proper place to stay.
- “Which district is the best?”
- “Which hotel should I stay at?”
Those questions are always up when you plan for any travel, either for business or leisure purposes.
So, what do you need to consider before making your decision on the accommodation?
First, is it your first time to travel to Ha Noi? Because there are a variety of tourist destinations in Ha Noi to visit, maybe you would like to try staying in a different district in Ha Noi if it’s not your first time, to have a new perspective of the capital, and to discover other places you don’t have a chance to visit before.
Moreover, you will need to address what your travel purpose is. Is it for working, discovering Ha Noi or taking a break during your days off? This may affect your decision as you probably wish to stay in a quiet or crowded district with a lot of travelers or not.
Last but not least, it is your budget that you will have to look into. How many days are you planning to stay in Ha Noi? And how much are you willing to spend on your accommodations? This will enable you to choose a proper room or apartment for only one person, two people or a group.
So, let’s see which district is the most suitable for you, and recommendations on hotels in Ha Noi.
4 Best Places to Stay in Ha Noi
Hoan Kiem District – The Old Quarter
The first district on the list must be legendary and historical Hoan Kiem – the center of Ha Noi with the mixture of a busy modern life and historical traces. Famous for the Old Quarter with 36 specialized streets, there are a lot of reasons to choose Hoan Kiem for your travel.
Photo: Vietnam Travel
As it’s considered the heart of Ha Noi City, you may find a range of choices of accommodation from hotels, hostels to apartments at different prices. For first time travelers to Ha Noi, the Old Quarter is definitely the ideal district to stay and understand more about the charming capital.
Who should stay here
- First-time travelers to Ha Noi.
- People who wish to blend in the busy daily life of Hanoian.
- Lovers of nightlife.
- Center of Ha Noi, the signature district of the city.
- Most famous local food shops located in this district.
- 36 specialized streets with a range of handicrafts or souvenirs for shopping.
- Hotels, restaurants and bars for different budgets.
- Many points of interest to explore.
- Busy with traffic congestion almost at any time of the day.
What to do
- Watch a water puppet show at Thang Long Water Puppet Theater.
- Taste such local food as “Pho”, “Bun dau mam tom”, or “Bun cha”.
- Try Trang Tien ice-cream, the most famous type in Ha Noi.
- Have a beer with some finger food in Ta Hien Street at night.
- Blend in the crowd of Vietnamese local and tourist at those night markets or walking streets.
- Walk around Hoan Kiem Lake for exercise or enjoy the fresh air.
- Experience the walking street around Hoan Kiem Lake at weekends, with people playing folk games, or making a dance or singing performance.
- Go shopping at the night market for souvenirs and interesting items.
- Explore the busy Dong Xuan Market in the day, and enjoy the street food there at night.
- Visit the historical Temple of Jade Mountain.
- Discover the French-styled St.Joseph’s Cathedral in the middle of Ha Noi.
- Look into the history of Vietnam at the National Museum of Vietnamese History.
Best accommodations for your stay
Luxury hotel in Hoan Kiem District: The Oriental Jade Hotel
Just around 200m away from Hoan Kiem Lake, The Oriental Jade features rooms and suites with the spectacular view of Hoan Kiem Lake and St.Joseph’s Cathedral. From the hotel, you can visit all those top points of interest in the Old Quarter.
By the way, classy rooms and suites at The Oriental Jade are fully furnished with all the necessary conveniences. Staying at the hotel, you can also stay fit at the gym, indulge in the view of Ha Noi from the rooftop swimming pool and have a rest at the spa right inside the hotel.
Moreover, room service is available until 10 p.m daily in case you are hungry and in need of something for your belly at night, but lazy to get out of your room.
Address: 92-94 Hang Trong Street, Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Budget hotel in Hoan Kiem District: Trang Trang Boutique Hotel
Also located in the Old Quarter, the 3-star hotel – Trang Trang Boutique is the best place to stay in Ha Noi Old Quarter for those seeking budget accommodations. From the hotel, you can easily travel to various destinations in the center, and enjoy some drinks at amazing pubs on the same street.
There are rooms and suites suitable for couples or families. Every room and suite features a beautiful working table, and a flat-screen TV. Especially, the hotel is wheelchair-accessible, so it’s totally proper and safe in case somebody needs this way.
Address: 104 Ma May Street, Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hotel for families or groups of friends in Hoan Kiem District: Hanoi Ancient Paradise Hotel & Travel
Designed in dark green tone combined with elegant white color, the suites at Hanoi Ancient Paradise bring guests a feeling of friendliness and coziness.
Furnished with a wooden floor, spacious bathroom and balcony in every suite, the suites can accommodate up to 4 or 6 people, so they are totally suitable for those travelers who would like to stay together during their travel.
Also, the hotel features a restaurant and a spa inside the hotel, along with the convenient transfer service.
Address: 95 Hang Chieu Street, Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hostel: Little Charm Hanoi
Photo: Little Charm Hanoi
Upon the first step into Little Charm Hanoi, you may feel totally welcomed by friendly staff and the cozy ambiance thanks to the Italian-styled design in a wood color tone.
Each bed is equipped with 2 lockers and a reading light for your convenience. Also, there’s an indoor swimming pool for resting and relaxing after a long day walking and exploring the ancient Ha Noi.
Staying at Little Charm Hanoi, you can ask for the assistance or information at the front desk. They are experienced and always helpful, as a local, to give you needed information related to tours, bike rental or laundry services.
Address: 44 Hang Bo Street, Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Tay Ho District
Situated in the north of Ha Noi, Tay Ho district is named after the West Lake, meaning “Tay Ho” in Vietnamese. There are choices of accommodations nowadays around West Lake and in the district Tay Ho.
Photo: Travel Hanoi
With the largest freshwater lake in the middle, Tay Ho is a quiet and tranquil district compared to the others. In the morning, you may find many people run along the lake, enjoying their own time under the shadow of many large trees.
This is also the reason why Tay Ho is the most preferred district of expats living and working in Ha Noi.
Who should stay here
– People who prefer a quiet ambiance in Ha Noi.
– People looking for a long-term stay.
– People with a high budget.
– Historical places to visit.
– Thanks to the fact that Tay Ho is preferred by foreigners, many international restaurants are available in this district.
– Most restaurants or coffee shops with lake view.
– Limited choices of accommodations.
– Very few nightlife activities.
What to do
- Discover the historical beauty of the oldest temple in Vietnam – Tran Quoc Pagoda.
- Have your dinner at a seafood restaurant on the southern side of West Lake.
- If you’re interested in a classy and quality meal, reserve your table at Hemispheres Steak & Seafood Grill inside Sheraton Hanoi Hotel.
- Have a drink and dance at Savage Club Hanoi if you’re a nightlife person.
- Enjoy a cocktail on the 20th floor of Pan Pacific Hanoi at the Summit Lounge, and grab the breathtaking view to West Lake and the whole city of Ha Noi.
- During the lotus blooming season, don’t forget to capture magnificent pictures here at the lake.
- Taste the signature shrimp cake of Tay Ho district.
- Enjoy “Pho”, the famous noodles of Vietnam in Ngu Xa Street.
- Cool off with a coconut ice-cream near West Lake.
- Wake up early, and indulge in the tranquil ambiance of West Lake in the early morning.
- Run or cycle along West Lake – ideal for exercise thanks to its significantly large area.
- Take a visit to Chu Van An high school, one of the oldest high schools in Vietnam, designed following French-styled architecture.
- Watch a show at Hanoi Rock City, the famous live music venue with impressive performances.
- Visit Quan Thanh Temple, one of the Four Sacred Temples in Ha Noi.
Best accommodations for your stay
Luxury hotel in Tay Ho District: Elegant Suites Westlake
Featuring well-furnished studios and apartments, Elegant Suites Westlake offers customers with quality indoor facilities. Each spacious studio and apartment is equipped with the dining area, kitchen area and other appliances for comfort and convenience during your stay.
Moreover, the hotel boasts an elegant and beautiful lobby, along with a lounge where you can let your hair down and enjoy some drinks. At Elegant Suites Westlake, you can also relax and go swimming at the large swimming pool.
Address: 10B Dang Thai Mai Street, Tay Ho District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Budget hotel in Tay Ho District: Awa Boutique Hotel
Only around 500m from West Lake, you can have your leisurely walk when the Sun starts to rise. The reception is available 24/7 to assist you, and in case you need to prepare something for your belly, a shared kitchen is also set up.
You can have the choice of a room with a balcony or the view of West Lake. Daily continental breakfast is also provided right at the hotel.
Address: 130 Yen Hoa Street, Tay Ho District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hotel for families or groups of friends in Tay Ho District: InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Managed by the international group IHG, InterContinental Hanoi Westlake ensures a convenient stay of families. Featuring 3 restaurants and 2 bars along with an outdoor swimming pool right at the hotel, you can have a good time and enjoy the services provided with your family.
Especially, if you’re a fan of pastry, fresh bread, cookies and pastries can be found at Le Gourmet at the lobby area. Comfy bedrooms with impressive en suite bathrooms will definitely blow you away.
Address: 05 Tu Hoa Street, Tay Ho District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hostel in Tay Ho District: 7Fridays West Lake Hostel
7Fridays West Lake Hostel is undoubtedly the excellent choice for backpackers or travelers who love to exchange with other people and stay on budget.
Besides the dorm bed with 24/7 air-conditioning and a view, what you can experience at 7Fridays West Lake Hostel is enjoy yourself at the outdoor swimming pool, have a drink and dance along the music at the bar in the evening.
What can you expect more from a hostel? Check it out on the website below.
Address: 22 Quang An Street, Tay Ho District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Ba Dinh District – The French Quarter
Photo: AZ Local Trip
Out of the 5 major districts of Ha Noi, Ba Dinh is the district of popular and important buildings, located in the north of Ha Noi city center. Ba Dinh is just on the other side of a street by West Lake.
Here in Ba Dinh, historical monuments are standing still, becoming the points of interest that attract millions of travelers annually. It is why the peaceful vibe is always preserved by the local and tourists.
Who should stay here
- Travelers with medium to high budget.
- People who love sightseeing.
- People who love historical beauty and architecture.
- Easy access to other districts.
- The district of major cultural and historical monuments in Ha Noi.
- A quiet and peaceful place to spend your holiday in.
- Not an ideal place for nightlife activities.
- Quite few bars or pubs.
- Shopping areas are limited.
What to do
- Tour the Temple of Literature embracing the history of nearly a thousand years.
- Visit the fantastic Imperial Citadel of Thang Long, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Ha Noi.
- Admire President Ho Chi Minh at Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.
- Learn about the life of Ho Chi Minh and his contribution to Vietnam’s independence.
- Pay a visit to ancient One Pillar Pagoda, one of the symbols of Vietnam.
- Challenge yourself on the 65th floor of Lotte Observation Deck.
- Watch the flag-raising ceremony at Ba Dinh Square in the early morning.
- Go for a stroll at Ba Dinh Square in the evening.
- Taste the rice noodle rolls – “Pho cuon” and other specialties of Ha Noi.
- Relax in Hanoi Botanical Garden with beautiful animals and large green trees.
Best accommodations for your stay
Luxury hotel in Ba Dinh District: Lotte Hotel Hanoi
As the current highest building in Ha Noi, Lotte Hotel Hanoi is a 5-star hotel featuring the observation deck, one of the top tourist attractions, on the 65th floor. Boasting the view of beautiful Ha Noi, all spacious rooms and suites at the hotel are in a variety of wood color tones, satisfying even the most demanding guests.
Additionally, the hotel features 6 restaurants and bars, from the fine dining restaurant Grill 63, the signature Chinese restaurant Red River to the rooftop bar Top of Hanoi. All the dining venues are located on the 36th floor or above, so you can admire the view of Ha Noi from the top.
There are also two luxurious and magnificent swimming pools, one indoor and one outdoor, a spa and an incredibly large fitness center for your wellness during your stay.
Address: 54 Lieu Giai Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Budget hotel in Ba Dinh District: Dragon Pearl Hotel
An elegant room with hardwood floor and cozy lighting at a reasonable price per night, why not? Situated just 100 m from Dong Xuan Market, Dragon Pearl Hotel follows the modern architecture. Staying here, you can enjoy the local food and go for grocery at the local market, blend in the Vietnamese daily life.
Some of the rooms offer a small fridge and a dishwasher for your convenience. The hospitable front desk staff can provide you with recommendations on where to go, tour arrangements and some specialties to taste. You can also order room service if you would like to enjoy your meal in room with your partner, and have a view of the district.
Besides, the hotel also offers the choice of a triple or quadruple room for those traveling in groups.
Address: 17E Phan Dinh Phung Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hotel for families or groups of friends in Ba Dinh District: Hestia Legend Hotel
Located in the middle of Hoan Kiem and Ba Dinh Districts, Hestia Legend Hotel is only 1.5 km from Hoan Kiem Lake, and 1.6 km from Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. Daily buffet breakfast at the hotel includes Western and Asian choices, satisfying different customers’ taste.
The family room for 4 people offers 2 king beds with a flat-screen TV. The bathroom is also furnished with a bathtub and shower.
By the way, you can do some work or print your ticket and papers at the business center, pamper yourself with a massage at the spa, and borrow free bikes provided at the hotel.
Address: 53 Hang Bun Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Hai Ba Trung District
Photo: Từ Xứ Đoài đến Kẻ Chợ
Outstanding from other districts in its own way, Hai Ba Trung is a modern district with dynamism and vibrancy. It’s a great district with shopping malls and amazing restaurants in every corner.
Coming to Hai Ba Trung district, you don’t need to worry about quality restaurants, fashion brands, or large shopping malls. Compared to Tay Ho district, Hai Ba Trung is more bustling and crowded.
Thanks to those features, Hai Ba Trung is on its way to be more advanced, and to be one of the districts that are ideal for your stay.
Who should stay here
- All types of travelers.
- People who travel to Ha Noi before, and would like to experience Ha Noi under another perspective.
- Travelers who love shopping.
- Easily approachable.
- Modern district with convenience and comfort.
- Shopping areas.
- Fewer tourist destinations to explore.
- Intense traffic.
What to do
- Indulge in the great aquarium at Times City.
- Go shopping at the underground shopping center in the massive Times City complex.
- Have a leisurely walk in Thong Nhat Park by Bay Mau Lake.
- Taste the delicious clam and pork porridge.
- Enjoy the Vietnamese pancakes – “banh xeo” on Luong Dinh Cua Street.
- Walk in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Hai Ba Trung Street.
- Let your hair down at the largest nightclub in Ha Noi – The Bank Hanoi.
- Discover Cho Hom Market, where you can choose the fabrics for your own tailored clothes.
Best accommodations for your stay
Luxury hotel in Hai Ba Trung District: Hôtel du Parc Hanoï
Photo: Secret Vietnam
“Elegant” and “Charming” are the two words that I would like to describe this hotel. Set by thong Nhat Park, Hôtel du Parc Hanoï enables you to embark on a new journey of Japanese and Vietnamese hospitality with care and professionalism.
With 7 types of rooms and suites, every unit’s got a spacious area with large windows for an open view. Those who stay in Executive rooms or higher category have the privilege to enjoy Exetuvie benefits at the Executive Lounge on the top floor of the hotel. The services are inclusive of private check-in, refreshments and a spectacular view to Ha Noi from above.
Also, guests can get themselves refreshed and rejuvenated with relaxing Japanese and Vietnamese therapies at the spa, or cool off at the outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi.
Address: 84 Tran Nhan Tong Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Budget hotel in Hai Ba Trung District: My Hotel 23
As a branch of the hotel chain My Hotel, My Hotel 23 provides guests with furnished rooms with a flat-screen TV and free wifi access. You can choose to have a buffet or set menu for breakfast.
In case you need any assistance in tour booking, luggage storage or airport transfer, the reception staff are available 24 hours to assist you.
From the hotel, you can savor the best chocolate and pastry in Ha Noi at Maison Marou Hanoi, a splendid place for fans of chocolate, architecture and photography. Also, some nearby tourist destinations near the hotel are Vietnamese Women’s Museum, Hoa Lo Prison Relic or Quan Su Temple.
Address: 23 Bui Thi Xuan Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Accommodation for families or groups of friends in Hai Ba Trung District: SunriseStays Serviced Apartments
Each apartment at SunriseStays is furnished with a private balcony, giving guests the view of the city, adequately equipped kitchen, a sofa, a washing machine, and a private bathroom.
Photo: Jetstar Hotels Australia
The apartment is quite spacious and bright thanks to the windows, and it’s precisely home away from home with the smart arrangement – one area separate from the others.
SunriseStays is 2 km from Thang Long Puppet Theater and 1.9 km from St.Joseph’s Cathedral. Also, there are some specialty restaurants like “Pho” or “Bun Cha” in walking distance, so you can taste them all.
Address: 21 Han Thuyen Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
- What’s the best area to stay in Ha Noi?
It depends on your purpose of travel and your budget. However, I would love to recommend the Old Quarter in Hoan Kiem District for most first-time travelers to the capital or the Vietnamese, and Tay Ho District which is totally tranquil and quiet for travelers who prefer the privacy and peaceful place.
- How many days should I stay in Ha Noi?
If you would like to visit the tourist attractions, taste all the local food and blend in the culture as well as the living as a Hanoian, you are recommended to spend 5-7 days in this beautiful city.
Therefore, you can take your time to discover the beauty of the modernity mixed with the ancient parts of Vietnam’s charming capital.
- What is the best district to stay in Ha Noi, Vietnam?
I have to say the best district to stay in Ha Noi is Hoan Kiem as it’s the district for tourists with famous local restaurants, and points of interest.
- Which is the best district for a long-term stay in Ha Noi?
For those people who would like to settle in Ha Noi or to spend a long time staying in this city, I would recommend Tay Ho District, which is chosen and preferred by the expats.
Thanks to its location around West Lake, and the modernity it embraces, people staying there can have more focus on their work. Also, it’s easy to travel from Tay Ho District, too.